Saturday, May 23, 2009

Later On - in tango ville!!!!


Back again - we had a nice warm day in Recoleta! We did some shopping and then went to the famous La Biela for a snack! and for coffeeeeeeee!

I want to go back and talk about last nite...
so the latest on shoe shopping! - not all of us have bought shoes! That's the first news! HMM - i won't tell who it is yet - we'll see if they find what they like! I think we are up to about 18 shoes TOTAL for the group - this is not a lot... we'll see what happens by the end of the tour and we'll do the annual shoe photo!

The early milonga last nite started at 7pm. That was after a class with our other assistant, Jose Luis - it was a good class - a long one with translating involved - we worked hard on our walking and connection.
I mentioned I couldn't believe how crowded the milonga got - it was a mix of ages but mostly "older" people. I mentioned we had a lecherous milonguero and well, there is no excuse for bad manners and bad behavior - Isaac explained it pretty well - we have to remember that we come as "tourists" exploring the dance as an art form and for a lot of these older milongueros it's a "nightclub" for them - even a "pickup" scene for them. I too think it's also about being a follower/female who is clear in her intentions and never second guesses her gut. Intention, I refer to - the idea of "this is a dance with boundaries that i create that are comfortable for me". We sometimes for get that just 'cuz this dance may give us or fill other voids for us that some of the real life rules still apply - if it doesn't feel good in real life, it won't necessarily feel good on the dance floor either. This is a loaded topic on which i have much to say - not justifying the behavior and can leave someone feeling very, well, violated or uncomfortable at least. But this fits into my philosophy - which tango has helped me to realize that I DO believe that we all take part in our lives. And maybe it's already a "female" question to ask but I ask - what did I do? or how can i avoid that behavior from my end in the future. So.... with that said - i think we had a good time in the end and helped to exorcise that experience as much as we could..... In between a couple of the tandas (a tanda is a set of music) there was a set of salsa music which people enjoyed and another a little later of possibly rock and roll? anyway - Cynthia and Frank enjoyed a good boogie!

We left this milonga around 10:30pm ish for our group dinner at my favorite restaurant LA GRAN TABERNA!!!!
We sat and had a leisurely marathon meal!!! I love that restaurant and I love how well they always take care of us. So we enjoyed appetizers, wine, meals of beef, veggies, canelones, paella, salmon.... i think everyone was full and happy - we enjoyed some panqueque de manzana al rhum and finished it off with cafe's and their homemade lemoncello.....
It was probably 2am when we left!!!!
What a wonderful day full of experiences and lots of learning.. I am really proud of everyone - they are all doing amazing and learning so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment